Sunday, June 27, 2010

Wave Organ and more of San Francisco

Hello!

I know, I know... I've been remiss with posting my posts. But I have some great stuff to put up today. I hope it makes it worth the wait!

About a month ago Jeff and I went to San Francisco (shock!) to see the Wave Organ and do a bit of wandering. We had a great day and made lots of discoveries.

At the eastern edge of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area on the jetty by the boat harbor is a work of environmental art created by Peter Richards and George Gonzales in 1986. The Wave Organ is a wave-activated acoustic sculpture that has been called the world's biggest seashell. It's a pretty cool piece of art in itself:

There wasn't much motion in the ocean on the day we went so we didn't actually hear anything. But you can go here to listen: http://www.exploratorium.edu/visit/plan_your_visit/wave_organ/

After the Wave Organ we walked to Fort Mason. Jeff got in a workout on the way. My He-Man!

At Fort Mason we almost ate at Greens, a very trendy vegetarian restaurant but we left after being seated at a stump and not finding much on the menu that would fill us up. Fortunately, there was a Oaxacan food vendor outside and we ate yummy tacos and tamales. Then we continued our walk. We found the butt of an old ship:


And then we made our way to Fisherman's Wharf where we went on a tour of a World War II submarine, the Pampanito:
After that, we wandered down to Ghiradelli Square (yum!), Pier 39 and ended up on Chestnut street. This is a very cool area with lots of shops and restuarants. I found another art heart:

And found some very cool places to eat:

(I love this one because my dad's name is Barney!)

And, like the rest of the city, Chestnut street is dog-friendly:

No comments:

Post a Comment