Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy 5th of July!

This has been a very laid-back weekend for me and Jeff. Today was the laziest day of all though. I literally sat in front of the TV all day and watched the Food Network. Finally, I mustered my energy and Jeff and I took a walk, ending at a Gelato shop in Downtown Campbell.

I'm very much my mother's daughter (she can attest to this) when it comes to lines. We're impatient and we don't like it when people try to cut in. So, when two German-speaking women came in and marched right up to the register in front of me I was quick to assert myself. Sort of.

"Uh, hi," I said politely.
"Yah, yah, yah," one of the women said, "we're just looking around."
Internally I growled but externally I just smiled politely.

After explaining to the clerk several times what I wanted (seriously, do I mumble that bad?), I got my tiny cup of dark chocolate goodness. Jeff and I left the shop and I recounted the confrontation to him as he had wandered off.

"Yeah, Germans are like that," he explained. Jeff has travelled to Germany so he knows what he's talking about (and he has so many international friends he should be an ambassador at the UN). "They're direct and they can be kinda rude."

"Really?" That surprised me, I always thought that they were big fans of order.

Jeff is by far a quicker wit than me. "You should have said, 'Are y'all from Germany? Ain't that by Holland? I love strudel!' That would drive them nuts."

I laughed so hard I almost spit out my gelato. Clearly, I've missed an opportunity to create some real mischief. Poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment