Sunday, March 28, 2010

San Francisco Staircases


I love New Year's resolutions. The idea of starting over or facing a new challenge is very appealing to me. I try to pick achievable goals. This year I resolved to visit San Francisco more often. I've lived only an hour away for most of my life yet the city is still a stranger to me. Knowing that San Francisco houses some of the best museums, restaurants and other activities in the world I started taking monthly trips in January. I bought a book called "Stairway Walks in San Francisco" and have found it a useful guide to the city.Through this book I have made some wonderful discoveries.

This is the mosaic staircase at Golden Gate Heights. It is a new staircase, built in 2005 as a collaboration between artists and the community.

It's rich in detail as you can see:

The top of Golden Gate Heights offers a great view of the city:

My husband and I walked to Golden Gate Park afterwards and visited the Conservatory of Flowers. I'd been to conservatories before but this blew them all away. It was small but packed with tropical plants and orchids.

In one of the rooms was a miniature version of San Francisco made out of refuse with model trains running through it.
I was just flabbergasted.
And on the way back to the car we spotted this little gem:
I love this city!

No comments:

Post a Comment