Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Grey Hornet


I'm not much of a plane or ship enthusiast but for my father's birthday on Sunday we took him to the very manly Hornet, a World War II aircraft carrier in Alameda. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I did and didn't feel too out of place.

The ship was full of historic aircraft:


The Hornet was also the ship that picked up the astronauts from Apollo 11 & 12 (the first time we went to the moon). Could you imagine being crammed in that tiny capsule for days waiting to be picked up?

After the capsule, the astronauts must have felt like they were living in the lap of luxury while they were quarantined in this tiny trailer for three weeks.

If you go, be sure to get a tour of the flight deck:

I found the art for the ship logos pretty interesting too: Walt wuz here!

All of the airplanes had folding wings so they could fit as many as possible on board:

The helicopters had folding propellers:

After the Hornet we went over to Oakland to check out Jack London Square. Unfortunately, I have to give it a thumbs down because it was a big snore fest. Unless you are going to catch a show at Yoshi's don't bother. Oakland, you need to do much better.

2 comments:

  1. The Hornet must be huge. Looks pretty interesting. I don't know how the astronauts lived in such tiny spaces; it makes me claustrophobic just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do love the blog, especially all the photos. No adventures in May yet?

    ReplyDelete